How to apply for Canada tourist visa in 2019
If you have a Canada Tourist Visa you can visit the country for tourism and leisure purposes. This type of visa also refers to a Canada visitor visa or Canadian Temporary Resident Visa (TVR). The length of the Canadian tourist visa is a maximum of six months.
There are two types of Canadian tourist visas:
- Single entry visa
- Multiple entry visa
Please note that both given visitor visa types are valid only for a particular time period. Visitors cannot reuse them upon their expiration date.
With a single entry visa, you can enter Canada only once. You will need to apply for a new visitor visa once you leave Canada. However, traveling to the USA, St. Pierre and Miquelon are exceptions.
If you have multiple visitor visas, then you can exit and re-enter Canada without needing to apply for a visa again. Depending on a visitor’s passport validity date, the multiple entry visa can be effective up to 10 years or one month before the expiry date of the visa holder’s passport.
Canada Tourist Visa requirements, eligibility criteria
The following criteria must be met to become eligible for a tourist visa:
- You need to have a valid passport
- Being in good health
- You need to provide financial means proof which is necessary to cover your expenses while in Canada
- You need to present enough binding ties which will ensure that you will return after your visit.
- Your intentions of leaving Canada at the end of your visit
- You have no purpose of looking for a job while visiting Canada
- Having no criminal record
- Not to pose a security risk
- You will obey the Canadian laws
- You are willing to pass a medical examination if necessary
You can find out if you are eligible to obtain a Canadian tourist visa by reading full information and requirements on the CIC. If you appear to be eligible for application, then you can follow these steps:
- Find out how you will apply
* Appling online – Please note that when you apply online you need to have some devices to be present like a scanner or a camera. You will use them to create electronic copies of your documents. You will also need to have a credit card for online payment.
* Applying on paper – For a paper application, it is necessary to have the application form for your visa and related checklist. When you fill up the application form be careful and pay attention that completed application must also include the barcode page. You need to provide all the requested information, documents, and fees. Otherwise, you risk your application to be returned or refused.
- Payment of processing fee
You can pay your fees either via bank draft or certified cheque. To get information about current fees and bank details you must see the fee schedule. Please keep in mind that you should always check the website in order to have details about the latest information on visa application fees.
- Visiting local CVAC center
You need to visit your local Canada Visa Application Center. It is necessary to have your passport, photographs, completed forms and all supporting documents as per checklist and payment instructions with you.
- Submitting the application
You will get a receipt at CVAC after submitting your completed application and paying the service charges. You can watch the progress of your application online using the unique tracking number which is on the receipt. Please note that you need to provide your biometrics too.
Extending Canada Tourist Visa
You can apply for the extension if you need to extend your tourist visa. Let us note that, the application must be done 30 days before the validity date of the original visa.
Documents required for Canada tourist visa
Using the Document Checklist (IMM 5484) can help you to collect the required documents if you are outside of Canada. In addition, some visa offices may ask extra supporting documents which are specific to your country. You can refer to Application for a Visitor Visa page for more information.
However, if you are inside Canada you need the Document checklist – Applicants in Canada (IMM 5721) to collect your documents. Later you will submit your application to the Case Processing Centre – Ottawa.
- Single Entry Visa – CAD 100
- Multiple Entry Visa – CAD 100
- Extension of Canada Tourist Visa (TRV) – CAD 100
Please note that, if you get a refusal for your visa application, you will not get a refund for the application fee you paid.
If you are a citizen of one of any mentioned countries below, then you can enter Canada without a visa.
Antigua and Barbuda
Israel (National Passport holders only)
Papua New Guinea
St. Kitts and Nevis
Solomon Islands Spain
Please keep in mind the following tips when you apply for Canada tourist visa
- To have your visa application process to be completed on time for your travel, you need to apply at least a few weeks before your planned travel date
- Pay attention to all details while filling up your visa application
- Do not provide false documents, or misrepresent facts for your visa