Canadian Citizenship Application Checklist includes form CIT 0002, Document Checklist ( CIT 0007), Citizenship Photo Specifications, Form CIT 0177, and Form IMM 5476. The form is intended for the candidates who want to apply for Canadian Citizenship. Applicants using CIT 0007 form must be Canadian Permanent Resident, be aged 18 or older. If you are not sure whether you to qualify for the citizenship application then you can find out your eligibility from Canada’s official website.
Who is eligible for Canadian Citizenship Application (CIT 0007)?
If you are a permanent resident of Canada you must meet the certain criteria to become eligible for the Canadian Citizenship Application. In order to qualify, you must have been physically in Canada a minimum of 1095 days in the five years before you apply. Also, if needed, before making an application, all candidates must have filed income taxes for any 3 taxation years that are fully or partially within 5 years.
Please note that it is actually better to be physically present in Canada for more than required time (1095 days). It will help to solve any issue if there is a problem due to your physical presence calculation. In addition, it is wise for the candidates to hold a journal where they can note their trips outside Canada which can be helpful for the calculation.
However, there are some exceptions in which you can count time spend outside Canada toward the time. For the individuals who apply Canadian Citizenship Application (CIT 0007), the time spent outside Canada will be accounted toward the time in if:
- a candidate employed in or with the: Canadian Armed Forces; Federal Public Administration; Public Service of a Province or territory
- a candidate lived outside Canada with his/her spouse or common-law partner or permanent resident spouse or parent who was employed in or with the: Canadian Armed Forces; Federal Public Administration; Public Service of a Province or territory
In addition, in order to qualify, candidates must be able to communicate in English or French. Unless an applicant is 55 or older at the time of citizenship application, s/he must speak and understand the mentioned languages. The application requirement for Canadian Citizenship also includes the candidate’s knowledge about Canada and as well as the responsibilities and privileges of citizenship.
Some applicants (minors) may want to qualify for Canadian Citizenship on their own rather than applying at the same time with their parents. If you are one of those, you can find detailed information here.
The application for Canadian Citizenship includes the following:
- Instruction Guide
- Application for Canadian Citizenship — Adults [Form CIT 0002]
- Document Checklist [CIT 0007]
- Citizenship Photo Specifications
- Residence Outside Canada [Form CIT 0177]
- Use of a Representative [Form IMM 5476]
Application For Canadian Citizenship — Adults [Form Cit 0002]
For candidates who are adults, the Form CIT 0002 is required to be included in the Canadian Citizenship Application Checklist. All applicants must fill out this part of the application package fully and correctly. After filling all the necessary forms correctly you will mail it together with your application package.
In general, the checklist for citizenship will include the following:
- Complete, dated and signed Application For Canadian Citizenship — Adults [Form Cit 0002]
- Your printed result of the assessment of your Physical Presence calculation or signed form CIT 0407
- Proof (a copy of a document) that demonstrates your language proficiency either in English or French.
- The copy of photos from your passport or some other travel documents which you have used over the past 5 years. Please note that, if the validity of passport has been extended, then you will also need to send the copies of pages which shows the extension of the passport.
- Two photos of your that meets Citizenship Application requirements and a photocopy of approved personal identifications
- A copy of a receipt shows that you have paid your application fees