About Family Sponsorship Requirements
Besides being a Canadian citizen or Canadian permanent resident for sponsoring a family member, you need to meet certain Family Sponsorship Requirements as well. In fact, sponsorship applicants are subject to the following sponsorship requirements:
- In order to meet Family Sponsorship requirements, the sponsor must demonstrate the financial ability to provide immigrant and dependents with their essential needs including the following:
– Food, clothing, shelter and other basic requirements of everyday living;
– Dental and eye care, as well as other health, needs not covered by public health services available to all Canadian citizens and Canadian permanent residents.
- The following agreements must be entered into with the government of Canada or Quebec:
– The sponsor must agree to provide the immigrant with essential needs for a prescribed period of time; and
– If the sponsored relative is over 19 years of age and not elderly, and the sponsor promises to support the sponsored person(s) for a prescribed period of time, then the sponsored person(s) must promise to make every effort to become self-supporting.
- The sponsor must have either:
– Physical residence in Canada; or
– For Canadian citizens sponsoring a spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, or dependent child, a demonstrated intention to reside in Canada by the time the sponsored family member lands in Canada as a permanent resident.
- In addition, the Sponsor must be at least 18 years old, not in prison, not bankrupt, not under a removal order (if a permanent resident), and not charged with a serious offense.
For more and detailed information regarding Family Sponsorship Requirements, feel free to contact us to get a free consultation or fill out this evaluation form to know your Canadian Immigration options.