Generally, parents and grandparents of Canadian citizens and permanent residents may receive Canadian Permanent residence with parents sponsorship under the stream of Family Class sponsorship. The sponsor must meet the following requirements in order to be eligible for Family Class sponsorship. The sponsor must:
- Be a Canadian citizen or permanent resident;
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Exceed the minimum necessary income level for this program;
- Sign an undertaking to repay any provincial social assistance benefits paid to the sponsor and accompanying family member(s), if any, for a period of 20 years, if necessary; and
- In case, if the sponsor resides in Quebec, an additional “undertaking” must be signed.