About Study Programs
Canada takes pride in allowing more than 450,000 foreign students to come and receive education in the country through study programs. Additionally, Canada is globally known to be among the nations with high cultural diversity. That said, several learning institutions in Canada have students from all parts of the world. They are in pursuit of the first-rate education Canada offers. With all its study programs Canada does help all these learners to reach their dreams, and that is positive.
A study permit is an authorization to legally study in Canada for a given amount of time. Anybody who is planning to study in Canada for a period longer than 6 months needs to obtain a study permit.
Before starting the application for study programs there are certain requirements you should meet:
- Proof of acceptance from a Designated learning institution (DLS) in Canada institution, such as university or college
- Proof of financial capability. You must prove that you have a significant financial support during your stay in Canada in a number of ways;
- Proof that you do not have a criminal record by producing the certificate of good conduct issued by the police;
- Proof that your health is in tip-top condition through check-up results from a certified medical practitioner;
- You must not pose any threat to Canada’s security; and
- The immigration officer must be certain that you will depart from Canada after completing your studies.
Facts about studying in Canada to consider:
- International students need a letter of acceptance from a Designated Learning Intuition (DLI).
- Study permit automatically authorizes its holder to work up to 20 hours per week during the academic year. Holder of study permit can also work full-time during academic breaks, provided s/he: Has a valid study permit; is a full-time student enrolled at a DLI at the post-secondary level; studying in an academic, vocational or professional training program leading to a degree, diploma or certificate; is enrolled in a program that is at least six months in duration.
- All schools must submit regular reports on the academic enrollment status of their international students to IRCC. Students who do not comply with their study permit conditions can be subject to a removal order.
- If the official length of your program of study is at least eight months, you may be eligible to apply for a Post-Graduate Work Permit (PGWP) upon completion of your studies. PGWP is an open work permit that authorizes you to work for any employer. If your program is at least eight months but less than two years, you may be eligible for a PGWP. In this case, PGWP is valid for no longer than the length of your program. If your program is two years or more, you may be eligible for a PGWP valid for a maximum of 3 years.
- Spouses and common-law partners of full-time students enrolled in an academic, vocational or trade program at an eligible post-secondary institution (all public schools and selected private schools) may apply for an open work permit valid for the length of the partner’s study program.
- Spouses and common-law partners of PGWP holders are eligible to apply for an open work permit If the principal applicant works in an occupation that falls within a NOC skill level 0, A or B
- Students enrolled at an institution that does not appear on the DLI list and students taking solely ESL classes are not eligible for any of the above.
- If the official length of your program of study is less than 6 months, you do not need to apply for a study permit.
To increase your chances of getting permanent residency in Canada, we recommend you:
- register for a program of longer duration than one year;
- stay away from poor-quality private institutions;
- enroll at a recognized public institution.
Generally, the above list will guide you to ascertain that you are appropriate to get a study permit in Canada. You might be required to produce other papers or requirements should your case be rendered unique. Canadapt experts will evaluate your exceptional state and offer you with a personalized study programs package.
You want to achieve your education dreams by studying in Canada. Contact us to help you to achieve your dreams.